HEADLINES FROM THE IZRAELI PRESS
HA’ARETZ:1. EDUCATION MINISTRY DISQUALIFIES CIVICS TEXTBOOK
– errors found after book was approved. Authors: This is political harassment, the MKs want nationalist books.
2. US: NETANYAHU WAS UPDATED ON IRANIAN NUCLEAR TALKS
3. HOLOCAUST MARTYRS’ AND HEROES’ REMEMBRANCE DAY EVENTS TO BEGIN THIS EVENING
4. GRUNIS TO NEEMAN: HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE BYPASS LAW
– „WEEPING FOR GENERATIONS”
Supreme Court President publicly attacked Justice Minister, who supports legislation that would allow Knesset to revive laws that have been overturned.
1. THE LT.-COL.: MY STORY DOESN’T INTEREST THE CHIEF-OF-STAFF
Lt.-Col. Eisner attacks his commanders: Is being filmed well more important than the mission?
1. This evening and tomorrow: We unite in memory of the victims of the Holocaust.
2. THE LT.-COL. ATTACKS THE CHIEF-OF STAFF Officer in question: „The demonstrators came with clubs and broke my hand, I acted to prevent attack on my soldiers
– but this does not interest the Chief-of-Staff.
1. NEVER AGAIN
Tonight at 20:00
– Holocaust Martyrs’ and Heroes’ Remembrance Day events to begin with state ceremony at Yad Vashem.
2. ASSESSMENT: LT.-COL. EISNER WILL BE DISMISSED Jordan Valley Brigade deputy commander defends his conduct: „What is more important? Carrying out the mission or looking good for the cameras?” GOC Central Command told him: „Yours is an ethical failure.” Growing right-wing support for the officer.
3. FINAL: SULIMAN’S CANDIDACY VOIDED
Report: Suliman to be unable to run for Egyptian presidency. Frontrunner: Amr Musa, sharp critic of Israel.
1. BARAK: LT.-COL.’S BEHAVIOR WAS NEVER ACCEPTABLE IN THE IDF
1. DEFENSE MINISTER: LT.-COL.’S BEHAVIOR UNACCEPTABLE
[Headlines for Walla! and Nana10 are from their websites as of 08:55.] ______________________________
SUMMARY OF OP-EDS FROM THE HEBREW PRESS
Yediot Ahronot comments on the recent altercation in which an IDF officer struck a foreign activist with his M-16 and says that, „Indeed, the report was extensively covered on news sites around the world
– but no anti-Israeli storm has broken out.” The author ventures that, „The Jordan Valley Brigade deputy commander’s action was so unnecessary and so stupid that everyone was convinced that – again – we had done exemplary service for those who wish to put the State of Israel into a corner,” but adds that, „What happened this time is that for the first time in a long time, Israel did what it has always needed to do – respond quickly.” The paper believes that the officer’s immediate suspension and the wall-to-wall official condemnations had a positive effect and concludes that, „Sometimes it is preferable to stop for a moment and do the right thing vis-à-vis public diplomacy. This is the only way to minimize the damage that is liable to grow to considerable proportions. Lt.-Col. Eisner, the investigations are expected to determine, failed in his duty. Israel, for a change, did not.”
Ma’ariv urges the Government to, „cut support payments that encourage unemployment,” restrict the growth of the public sector and cut both corporate and income taxes in an effort to bolster the economy.
Yisrael Hayom comments on Holocaust Martyrs’ and Heroes’ Remembrance Day<www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Anti-Semitism+and+the+Holocaust/Documents+and+communiques/Holocaust_Remembrance_Day_2012.htm>, which begins tonight, and criticizes those would downplay the uniquely Jewish/Israeli lessons of the Holocaust. The author believes that, „The Holocaust proved the justice of the Zionist view,” that any solution or rescue of the Jews, „is anchored in sovereign life in its homeland.”