HEADLINES FROM THE IZRAELI HEBREW PRESS
1. LISTS TO CLOSE THIS EVENING, EFFORT TO UNITE THE CENTER
2. Despite the criticism, next stage of E-1 plan is approved.
NETANYAHU’S OFFICE TORPEDOED RESEARCHER’S MEETING WITH MERKEL DUE TO HER
1. EU Council of Foreign Ministers’ draft conclusions in response to E-1
UN TO EXPEDITE LEGISLATION ON LABELING GOODS FROM JUDEA AND SAMARIA
Document to be submitted in Brussels next week will attack Israel for
stopping Palestinians’ tax funds and will emphasize that, „The economic
agreements between Israel and the EU do not apply to the Golan Heights,
Judea and Samaria and East Jerusalem.” Netanyahu met last night with Angela
Merkel and expressed his dismay over her decision to abstain in UN vote that
upgraded the status of the Palestinian Authority.
2. CANDIDATE LISTS FOR THE KNESSET TO CLOSE TODAY
1. At the last minute, Netanyahu pushed Likud MKs back and advanced
OUTRAGE IN THE LIKUD: NETANYAHU SOLD US OUT TO LIBERMAN
Liberman’s candidates advanced in contravention of formula that was agreed
upon in advance, and Likud people were pushed to unrealistic places. The
Likud: Negotiation constraints.
1. (.). By 22:00, all parties will submit their lists.
1. POLITICAL UPHEAVAL: PERETZ JOINS LIVNI; „SHELLY REBUFFED MY OUTSTRECHED
2. KHALED MASHAL EXPECTED TO MAKE FIRST VISIT TO GAZA TOMORROW
Head of Hamas Political Bureau to attend celebrations marking Hamas’ 25th
anniversary. Hamas clarifies that it has not received guarantees about
Mashaal’s security from Israel. (.).
3. NETANYAHU MEETS WITH MERKEL: „TRUE FRIEND OF ISRAEL”
Against background of tension between Israel and Germany in light of
Berlin’s position on the Palestinians, and the Israeli decision to build in
E-1, PM’s entourage said atmosphere between the two was „good.”
1. AMIR PERETZ JOINS TZIPI LIVNI: „WE WILL BE A DIPLOMATIC AND
SOCIO-ECONOMIC IRON DOME”
2. JORDANIAN MONARCH LANDS IN RAMALLAH, WILL MEET WITH ABU MAZEN
[Headlines for Walla! and Nana10 are from their websites as of 12:25.]
SUMMARY OF OP-EDS FROM THE HEBREW PRESS
Yediot Ahronot places last week’s UN General Assembly vote in a wider Middle
Eastern context. The author asks, „Why did so many countries in the UN vote
for a Palestinian state on paper?” and answers, „To turn the wheel back to
the good old days in which everyone dealt with Israel and not the real
problems.” However, the paper cautions: „But those days are gone forever.
The Middle East has come apart, Europe has been overrun by Islam and beating
on Israel and obsessing with it will not change the new reality. This was
proven again this month in the miserable UN vote. The Middle East is
continuing to deal with itself and its internal maelstrom is only widening.
True, there isn’t, and there never was, great love for a successful Israel.
But we now understand that the same UN vote was a kind of Arab and Western
nostalgia for the past, which will never return.”
Yisrael Hayom says that, „The clinical death of Kadima occurred a long time
ago,” and adds that yesterday’s resignation of four Kadima MKs is
tantamount, „to signing the death certificate.”