1. CHINA TO OLMERT: IRAN CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO BECOME A NUCLEAR POWER.
IDF assessment: Iran will cross nuclear „technological threshold” by
year’s end; will announce this in March.
2. HA’ARETZ CHECK: EASING OF RESTRICTIONS AT ROADBLOCKS HARDLY
3. FIRST MUSLIM MINISTER: MK RALEB MAJDELE.
„This is an historic move,” Peretz said, announcing the appointment.
1. Condoleeza Rice to arrive in Israel on Saturday – will possibly
present new plan.
ISRAELI AMBASSADORS TO FOREIGN MINISTRY: WHICH DIPLOMATIC PLAN TO
Diplomatic sources: Fact that every minister is coming out with his own
plan damages Israel in the international arena.
2. FOR FIRST TIME – ARAB MINISTER IN ISRAELI GOVERNMENT: RALEB MAJDELE.
3. REPORT: AMIR PERETZ CONSIDERING GIVING UP DEFENSE PORTFOLIO.
4. OLMERT IN CHINA: I AM CERTAIN THAT MY HANDS ARE CLEAN.
5. MASHAL’S SURPRISING STATEMENT: „ISRAEL IS AN EXISTING FACT.”
1. THE NEW INITIATIVE: PALESTINIAN STATE UP TO THE FENCE.
Condoleeza Rice to propose, during her visit: Provisional state
according to separation fence outline.
2. HISTORY OR POLITICAL DEAL.
Peretz appoints Majdele as first Arab minister. Rivals: This is only
because of primaries.
1. Military plan for 2007: Preparing for possibility imminent threat.
IDF: INCREASING CHANCE OF CONFLAGRATION IN THE NORTH.
Senior General Staff source: We will invest effort in imminent danger
and less in future threats.
2. MAKING HISTORY.
MK Raleb Majdele (54) to be first Arab minister in Israeli history.
SUMMARY OF EDITORIALS FROM THE HEBREW PRESS
Yediot Ahronot complains that everyone is dizzy from the seemingly
endless list of allegations against Prime Minister Ehud Olmert. The
editors suggest that even if he is exonerated from all accusations,
politically his career is finished.
Yediot Ahronot, in its second editorial, says that the Education
Ministry’s proposal to expand lessons on the Bible is commendable, but
not if it is done as part of the morning role call, which would lead
children to hate „the book of all books.”
Hatzofeh suggests that the present Government is worse even than mid
1980s’ unity Government in which Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Shamir rotated
between the Prime Minister’s Office and the Foreign Ministry.