HEADLINES FROM THE IZRAELI PRESS
HA’ARETZ:1. TERKEL COMMISSION: TIGHTEN OVERSIGHT OF IDF INVESTIGATIONS
In second part of Commission’s report, members recommend oversight of internal security body investigations regarding suspicions of war crimes perpetrated against Palestinians.
2. The widow: The police did not arrive.
BE’ER SHEVA YOUTHS MURDER MAN WHO ASKED THEM TO BE QUIET
3. LIKUD WORKING FOR KNESSET DISSOLUTION TOMORROW
1. LIFE HELD SO UNBEARABLY CHEAP
Gadi Veichler merely asked for quiet for his sleeping daughter and paid with his life. (…).
2. NETANYAHU TO OFFICIALLY OPEN ELECTION SEASON
PM intends to run for presidency of Likud convention.
GADI DIED IN MY ARMS
2. TODAY: NETANYAHU EXPECTED TO ANNOUNCE DATE FOR ELECTIONS Primaries for Likud list
– next month.
HE ASKED FOR QUIET AND PAID WITH HIS LIFE (…).
2. TODAY: PM TO ANNOUNCE ELECTIONS ON SEPTEMBER 4 (…). Yacimovich does not rule out joining coalition led by Netanyahu. Knesset Legal Adviser: „Universal Service” law cannot be approved during recess.
1. HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE: „AFTER A YEAR, WHY HASN’T ULPANA HILL BEEN EVACUATED?”
State Attorney’s Office asked judges for 60-day delay in demolishing structures in Beit El and was criticized by judges. „You promised to evacuate the structures; this was not a voluntary promise. The file is closed.”
2. CHIEF-OF-STAFF RECOMMENDS: DEMOLISH HOMES OF FOGEL FAMILY MURDERERS<www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Terrorism-+Obstacle+to+Peace/Terrorism+and+Islamic+Fundamentalism-/Two_Fogel_family_murderers_arrested_17-Apr-2011>.
– who claimed that punitive measure would strengthen deterrence among potential terrorists –
joins recommendation of Chief-of-Staff Lt.-Gen. Gantz. ISA: „Not aware of opposition from legal sources.”
3. THIS EVENING: NETANYAHU TO DECLARE START OF ELECTION CAMPAIGN
At speech to Likud Conference, PM is expected to officially declare election date but not date for Likud primaries. Law to dissolve Knesset to be approved this week.
1. ISA: DEMOLISH HOMES OF ITAMAR MURDERERS
2. PREPARING FOR ELECTIONS, [CAB. SECY.] HAUSER TO COMPETE FOR SPOT ON LIKUD LIST
Netanyahu will apparently be chosen as provisional president of Likud Conference. (…).
[Headlines for Walla! and Nana10 are from their websites as of 12:10.]
SUMMARY OF OP-EDS FROM THE HEBREW PRESS
Yediot Ahronot suggests that the, „refuted gimmick of universal national service was suggested as a way of realizing equality in the division of the burden, which has been presented as one of the holy principles of a western country based on the rule of law. But full equality does not exist, in fact, in any country, and the demand to achieve it is not a ‘natural’ right.”
Ma’ariv discusses Friday night’s vicious murder in Be’er Sheva of a father of two who asked some apparently intoxicated youth in a public park adjacent to his home to be quiet. The author remarks that, „More than once I have thought to go out to the youth and ask them to stop making noise during the late hours, but I have not done it. ‘Why invite trouble?’ That is the new motto in Israel.”
Yisrael Hayom, on the background of the upcoming Lag B’Omer<www.thinkisrael.com/Tourism_Euk/Tourist%20Information/Jewish%20Themes/Holidays/Pages/Lag%20ba-Omer.aspx> holiday offers that, „Bar Kochba’s willingness to do battle, based on his beliefs, against the greatest empire of the ancient world, lit the torch of freedom for the generations to come.” The author believes that, „The fighters of the pre-state undergrounds and IDF soldiers are the continuation of Bar Kochba. Strength of character, determination in deeds and the fighters’ spirit of freedom ensures the future of Israel’s independence.”