HEADLINES FROM THE IZRAELI HEBREW PRESS
HA’ARETZ:1. COUNCIL FOR HIGHER EDUCATION EXPANDING INVESTIGATION INTO FAST-TRACK DEGREES AT ALL UNIVERSITIES
After Yair Lapid received doctorate without BA, rectors are being asked to provide information on special academic tracks.
2. SUSPICION BEING CHECKED THAT HEAD OF PM NETANYAHU’S BUREAU, NATAN ESHEL, HARASSED A FEMALE EMPLOYEE
3. FOR SECOND TIME, JOSEPH CEDAR EN ROUTE TO THE OSCARS: „FOOTNOTE” AMONG FIVE CANDIDATES
1. REPORT: ATTEMPTED ELIMINATION OF ISRAELI AMBASSADOR TO AZERBAIJAN FOILED Three suspects, one of them a resident of Iran, arrested with weaponry and ammunition in their possession. Official sources in Baku: Cell sought to avenge elimination of nuclear scientists
– action that Tehran attributes to Israel.
2. CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION CHECKING WHETHER HEAD OF PM’S BUREAU, NATAN ESHEL, HARASSED A FEMALE EMPLOYEE. BUREAU: ” MERE GOSSIP”
1. EMBARRASSING IMBROGLIO
R., female employee at PM’s Bureau, to be summoned to testify in coming days. At center of affair: Claims against Natan Eshel, Netanyahu’s closest confidant, over embarrassing photographs and intrusion into emails. Sources in PM’s Bureau: Gossip.
3. HOPE FOR ISRAELI OSCAR: „FOOTNOTE” IS A CANDIDATE
1. „ASSASSINATION OF AMBASSADOR TO AZERBAIJAN FOILED”
Report: Azerbaijan arrested suspects who were planning to attack Jewish targets, with Ambassador Michael Lotem first and foremost. Mysterious death in Iran: Four former senior Revolutionary Guards officials.
2. „NO BASIS TO CLAIMS AGAINST NATAN ESHEL”
According to Justice Ministry in wake of harassment claim.
3. „FOOTNOTE” CANDIDATE FOR OSCAR
Race of Oscar: Joseph Cedar’s film candidate for Best Foreign Film.
1. MARWAN BARGHOUTI: ONLY WITHDRAWAL TO 1967 BORDERS WILL BRING END OF CONFLICT
1. EU FOREIGN MINISTER URGING ISRAEL AND PALESTINIANS NOT TO NEGLECT ATTEMPT AT DIALOGUE IN JORDAN
[Headlines for Walla! and Nana10 are from their websites as of 13:55.] ______________________________
SUMMARY OF OP-EDS FROM THE HEBREW PRESS
Yediot Ahronot responds to a woman protesting against the high cost of living in Israel by saying, „Whoever thinks like you that an arrangement with the Palestinians in unimportant, lives in a dangerous fantasy. With no agreement, or real progress towards one, another intifada will break out, the third, which will be worse than its predecessors. It will endanger your future and that of your children a thousand, thousand times more than the lack of competition at your supermarket chain and the real estate bubble.”
Ma’ariv argues that, „The management of the affair of the sinking ship, like the sinking European and US economies, attests that perhaps our situation [in Israel] isn’t so bad.” The author notes that, „With us, the Lewinsky affair would have led to the President being fired, the stench of ‘Whitewater’ could have prevented the Clintons from being elected, and a ‘Watergate’ graduate President would have been prosecuted. That does not mean to say that we should be thrilled with ourselves, but perhaps the time has come to not get down on ourselves so much.”
Yisrael Hayom believes that, „Slowly, the West is understanding that a containment policy is necessary in the conflict with a spreading Islam, with the Shiites at the center.” The author contends that, „The cooperation [of the Europeans] is not full. The Europeans are packaging Iran with Palestine and the closer they move toward the Israeli position on Teheran, the more they demand a softening of positions toward Ramallah.”